What is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is one of the best ways to restore, reshape and even renew your smile. It is composed of a special filling, which can improve the appearance and function of your teeth. Dental bonding is a popular solution fixing cracked, misshapen, stained, broken or gapped teeth. Dr. Langer DDS, a leading Brooklyn dental bonding expert, uses a composite resin to repair teeth. The resin is applied to the affected tooth and hardens under a special light. Once the resin is fused to the tooth, it is then shaped to cover any cracks, gaps, stains, or misshapenness. Dr. Langer will also match the color of the material to your natural tooth color, smooth it out, and polish it for a perfect appearance.
Types of Dental Bonding Procedures
There are two main types of dental bonding procedures:
- Repairing small simple fillings may be completed in a single appointment lasting about one or two hours.
- Some procedures require at least two appointments. For instance, more complex fillings could take longer and a temporary filling may be used while the permanent filling is custom shaped and colored in the lab. While this process may take longer, custom porcelain fillings look more natural, durable, and more resistant to stains.
The Dental Bonding Process
While dental bonding is more of a cosmetic procedure to repair damaged or misshapen teeth, the resin is not recommended as a remedy for larger surfaces due to the strength of the bonding material. It is typically used to fix smaller problems that could arise from cavities, fillings, small chips and cracks. Generally, dental bonding is a quick procedure that could be completed within a single visit. Dr. Langer typically follows the steps below:
- First, an etching solution is applied to the tooth or teeth receiving the bonding treatment. The solution will create a rough surface on the tooth, which allows for a stronger bond between the tooth and the plastic resin.
- After the surface of the tooth has been roughened, Dr. Langer will apply a thin layer of bonding resin on the surface of the tooth. The resin hardens and seals into place using a special light. Dr. Langer may add multiple layers of resin during the process until the desired level is achieved. Each layer only takes a couple of minutes to harden.
- After the bonding is applied and hardened, it is then sculpted and shaped to for the desired look. Dr. Langer also makes sure to match the bonding material to the color of your natural teeth for a perfect smile.
- Once the teeth are shaped and colored, the bonding material is polished until it is entirely smooth and natural looking.
- Typically, the entire dental bonding process lasts between one and two hours.
Dental Bonding Results
Dental bonding is designed to look like natural teeth. While any dentist can perform this type of procedure, it requires a lot of skill and artistic ability. Dr. Langer, a leading dentist in Brooklyn for dental bonding procedures, has many years of experience in cosmetic dental bonding. Throughout the years, he has successfully handled hundreds of patients and performed countless bonding procedures with long lasting, satisfying results.
Determining a price for a cosmetic dentistry procedure generally depends on the type of procedure, the dentist performing the procedure, and the type of composite material during the procedure.
Patients that have questions about this or any other procedure Dr. Langer provides may contact our office in Brooklyn at: (718) 395-5935.